Greetings Educator and Youth Advocates:
Since its inception in 1990, the Metropolitan Education Commission’s (MEC) Youth Advisory Council (YAC) has proven of exceptional value. Composed of middle and high school students representing public, private, and parochial schools across our city and county, the YAC/TTC gives youth a strong positive voice.
In October of 1993, the Tucson Mayor and Council and the Pima County Board of Supervisors amended the resolutions establishing the MEC to include two youth representatives. These students are chosen by the YAC/TTC to represent youth in the MEC’s decision-making process.
The goals of the YAC/TTC are to provide youth/student input on policies and programs designed to improve the quality of education throughout Pima County and to engage in activities, which foster both leadership, citizenship and the best educational opportunities for all Tucson youth.
The YAC/TTC has been identified and utilized as an important contributor to the City of Tucson and Pima County community organizations to increase youth civic involvement.
Countywide annual co-sponsored events include
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) Youth Leadership Conference & Career Fair
- Transition Fair
- Teen Town Hall
- Goal One: Graduate! Poster Contest
- Dorothy Finley Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards
- Counselor of the Year Award
- Metropolitan Education Commission Crystal Apple Awards Luncheon
- Key to Employment for the 21st Century Industry
- The YAC/TTC Summer Leadership Conference
- Regional College Access Center (RCAC) Advisory Committee.
Members also have the unique opportunity to meet with our elected city and county officials to share and discuss ideas and concerns on what is taking place with the youth in our schools, neighborhoods, and communities.
Selection process for the YAC/TTC is underway, and we are seeking your assistance in the recruitment of two students to represent your school. In its efforts, the YAC/TTC seeks a cross section of youth, representative of the diversity of our community and schools. The YAC/TTC is also interested in a broad range of students with different skills and abilities as well as interests.
We encourage your students to consider this distinctive opportunity. Please find attached/enclosed, an application for membership into the Youth Advisory Council/Tucson Teen Congress.
Applications for service can be
- filled out and submitted online
- filled out online for priting out and mailing at www.tucsonaz.gov/mec
- printed out, filled out mailed to MEC 930 E. Broadway Tucson, AZ 85719 or fax to 520-670-1110
June Webb-Vignery, Ph.D. Clarissa Gonzales
MEC Executive Director YAC/TTC Chair