One of the benefits of businesses utilizing the City's recycling service is that it costs less than garbage service, and may reduce the business' needs for garbage service, not to mention helping to meet the City's goals of reduced landfill consumption and keeping Tucson clean and beautiful. If you're not sure if recycling will work for your business, you may want to request a free Waste Audit. For more information please don't hesitate to call Customer Service at 520-791-3171.
Tucson Recycles is the garbage and recycling collection system which is designed to:
- Provide more recycling capacity and convenience for citizens
- Be more efficient and more ecologically sensible
- Increase Tucson's recycling rate above current 21%
- Extend the life of our landfill
- Conserve natural resources
Recycling service costs less than garbage service, and may reduce your needs for garbage service. All of the recyclable materials will be commingled in a container- no sorting needed.
Contaminated loads will be charged at garbage collection rates.
RECYCLE these items:
- Brown Paper Bags
- Corrugated Cardboard - remove plastic wrappers and flatten
- Paperboard - remove plastic liners
- Molded Fiberboard
- Magazines and Catalogs - less than ½ inch thick
- Copier and Writing Paper
- Mail - envelope windows and labels are OK, remove non-paper items
- Other Paper - pamphlets, brochures, file folders, card stock, etc.
- #1 Plastic (PETE) Bottles - Soda, water, etc. No trays or baskets
- #2 Plastic (HDPE) Bottles and Jugs
- Rigid Plastics
- NO OTHER PLASTICS MAY BE RECYCLED
- Aluminum Cans
- Steel/Tin Cans - Non-hazardous aerosol cans are OK.
- Glass Food and Beverage Bottles and Jars - No other glass
DO NOT Recycle These Items:
- Food waste
- Food service items, such as cups or plates
- Napkins, paper towels
- Landscape trimmings, dirt
- Styrofoam or Packing peanuts
- Auto Parts
- Tarps, hoses
- Construction materials: lumber, drywall, etc.
- Books, photographic paper, tapes, CDs
- Medical supplies, syringes, lancets or other sharp objects
- Plastic bags or plastic film packaging
Guidelines for Commercial Recycling
- No plastic bags (except shredded paper).
- No garbage.
- Please make sure materials are clean, empty and dry.
- Lightly rinse food containers. Use water wisely - throw very dirty items into the garbage.
- All recyclables go loose into the blue container together - - no sorting!
- Please flatten corrugated cardboard boxes. Remove plastic wrapping and liners.
- Shredded paper may be recycled in the blue barrel if it is secured in a clear plastic bag. NOTE: This is the only time that plastic bags can go in the recycling container
If in doubt whether an item is recyclable, call 520-791-5000 to find out or put it in the garbage.
Apartment Recycling: Getting Started
The City offers information to apartment managers who would like to educate their residents about the options available for their use in Tucson. Environmental Services staff is also available to present recycling information to tenant groups or to work directly with apartment managers to evaluate their recycling options. Call Customer Service at 520-791-3171 for more information.