Welcome to the Houghton Road Corridor Improvements official website.
As one of the official corridor projects approved by the voter-approved Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), we have been working hard to make this project a reality. This project will bring numerous improvements to the Houghton Corridor from Interstate 10 to Tanque Verde.
(Information about Pima County's Tanque Verde Road Project is available here: Tanque Verde Road Improvements: Catalina Highway to Houghton Road)
WHAT THIS PROJECT WILL PROVIDE:
We are looking forward to providing you with a new desert parkway that includes:
- Six-lane roadway south of Speedway Boulevard (three lanes in each direction), Four lanes north of Speedway
- Improved access control, including landscape medians with water harvesting
- Improved intersections with new signalization
- Bike lanes
- Sidewalks on both sides of the roadway
- Bus pullouts and transit options
- Rubberized asphalt for sound mitigation
- Improved drainage and all-weather crossings
- Landscaping that maintains the scenic corridor and utilizes water harvesting and native plants
- Wildlife-sensitive design
- Multi-use path along the east side of the corridor
PROGESS TO DATE:
To date we have:
- Developed Conceptual Design and Plans for the entire corridor from Interstate 10 to Tanque Verde Road.
- Divided the corridor into 9 projects for implementation. Estimated construction dates were originally assigned to each of the projects, but the current economic situation has slowed the progress of a number of the projects to 2016 or later. We are working with the RTA to keep the corridor improvements moving, and will update this plan as new information becomes available.
- Completed construction of the Houghton and Old Vail/Mary Ann Cleveland Way Intersection Improvements.
INDIVIDUAL PROJECT PROGRESS:
We are moving forward with two of the projects on the implementation list as follows:
- The Houghton Road, from Irvington Road to Valencia Road project began construction in October 2012.
- The Houghton and Broadway Intersection design is complete. Construction is anticipated to begin in early 2013.
- The design for the Houghton Road Bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad project is 30 percent complete. The construction schedule will be identified once an environmental clearance is obtained for this project.
- The design for the Houghton Road: Union Pacific Railroad to Interstate 10 project is 20 percent complete. The construction schedule will be identified once an environmental clearance is obtained for this project.