The City of Tucson intends to construct a roadway improvement project on N. Stone Ave. from 1st St. to Drachman St. The area located west of N. Stone Ave and east of N Main Ave, and south of Speedway and north of Second St., encompasses the area of the historic Court Street Cemetery. This was the official City of Tucson cemetery between 1875 and 1909. The eastern half of the cemetery, between N 10th Ave and N Stone Ave, was the Catholic portion. The cemetery area west of N 10th Ave was the Protestant portion. The planned roadway improvement project on N Stone Ave will affect some areas on the eastern edge of the Catholic portion of the historic cemetery. During archaeological investigations prior to the roadway improvement project, the City will respectfully remove any remaining human remains and grave items from the project area before construction begins in August of 2011, and will rebury them in a designated cemetery in Tucson unless they are repatriated to descendent groups claiming affiliation under an Arizona State Museum Burial Agreement. Any person with specific concerns about the burials that may be in this project area should contact Todd Pitezel, Arizona State Museum, University of Arizona, Tucson AZ 85721-0026.
Making Stone Avenue a Better Place to Live and Work.