Private Improvement Agreement
PIA’s are typically required for:
- Rezoning conditions: Some rezoning conditions may require a PIA for offsite improvements
- Curbing: If the extent of curbing will result in impacts to existing drainage patterns.
- Drainage Structures: Box Culverts, Pipe Culverts, connections to existing drainage facilities.
- Drainage Improvements: Drainage grading.
- Paving: This includes deceleration lanes, and turn lanes.
- Median modifications: All median modifications.
- Traffic Devices: This includes signalization, new traffic signs,…etc.
PIA Guidelines and Forms
PIA’s are not typically required for:
- Curb cuts / Driveways
- Utility trenching and backfill
- Sidewalks on non-MS&R roadways
- Minor curb replacements
- Curb cut closures
Permits & Codes - Excavation
If there is a question as to whether or not a PIA is required, please contact the Permits and Codes Section of the TDOT Engineering Division at (520) 791-5100.