How To File Injunctions Against Harassment

What is an Injunction against Harassment?

An injunction against harassment prohibits a person from harassing, annoying or alarming another person. An injunction can be filed against neighbors, friends or strangers, as long as you have their name. One act of harassment will not be enough to get an order. There must be a series or pattern of acts before a judge will consider granting the order. The person filing the injunction is called the plaintiff. The person against whom the injunction is filed is called the defendant.


Where do I file a petition for Injunction Against Harassment?

An injunction may be filed in any of the following courts Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM.

  • Pima County Superior Court, Clerk’s Office, 110 W. Congress, 1st Floor
  • Pima Consolidated Justice Court, 240 N. Stone Ave.
  • Pima County Juvenile Court, Clerk’s Office, 2225 E. Ajo Way
  • Tucson City Court, 103 E. Alameda Street

After 4:30 PM weekdays, or at any time on a weekend or holiday, contact the Tucson Police Department (791-4444) or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department (741-4900). In case of an emergency, call 911.


How do I file?

You must complete the paperwork given to you by court staff. An injunction against harassment can only be issued against one person. Each person you want to file against requires a separate petition. After you complete the paperwork, you will be scheduled before a judge who will review your petition and either grant or deny the injunction. In some cases, the judge may schedule a subsequent hearing with both parties prior to ruling on the injunction.


Injunctions Against Harassment Forms


What happens if the injunction is granted?

If the judge grants the injunction, a member of the clerk’s staff will complete the paperwork for you. The defendant must be served with the injunction before it becomes effective. Court staff will explain how to have the defendant served. A service fee will be charged, and once an order has been served, it will be in effect for twelve (12) months. It is important to keep a copy of the injunction with you at all times.


Can the Injunction against Harassment be changed or modified?

The defendant may file a petition to request that the injunction be modified or dismissed. If a petition is filed, the hearing will be heard in City Court or Pima County Consolidated Justice Court. The court location is determined by the location of the plaintiff’s residence, either city or county. The court will mail a copy of the notice of hearing to you specifying the location, date and time of the hearing.


What if the Injunction involves a minor?

If the plaintiff is a minor, the petition must be filed by the parent, legal guardian or the person who has legal custody of the minor. Any injunction sought against a person who is less than twelve years of age must be filed in the Juvenile Court.


Additional Questions?

If you have any questions concerning injunctions against harassment, you may obtain information from the courts listed below:

  • Tucson City Court 791-4971
  • Pima County Consolidated Justice Court 740-3384
  • Clerk of the Juvenile Court 740-4412 or 740-5025
  • Clerk of the Superior Court 740-3272 or 740-3297


Additional information is also available on the Arizona Supreme Court Domestic Violence Web Page.


For More information about Domestic Violence and other issues:

EMERGE (formally The Brewster Center - Domestic Violence Services)