Recycling Collection Service: service is available in 3, 4, 6, or 8-yard containers. EGSD offers a recycling service at a reduced cost to our garbage collection customers. Commingled recycling is available for a large variety of materials. By adding recycling to their services, EGSD customers can often see savings in their waste disposal collection costs and can help keep our community safe and clean.
Guidelines for Commercial Recycling
- No plastic bags (except shredded paper).
- No garbage.
- Please make sure materials are clean, empty, and dry.
- Lightly rinse food containers. Use water wisely — throw very dirty items into the garbage.
- All recyclables go loose into the blue container together — no sorting!
- Please flatten cardboard boxes. Remove plastic wrapping and liners.
- Shredded paper may be recycled in the blue barrel if it is secured in a clear plastic bag. NOTE: This is the only time that plastic bags can go in the recycling container.
Recycling is easy! All recyclable materials go in one container – no sorting needed.
If in doubt whether an item is recyclable, call 520-791-5000 to find out or put it in the garbage.
Apartment Recycling: Getting Started
The City offers information to apartment managers who would like to educate their residents about the options available for their use in Tucson. Environmental Services staff is also available to present recycling information to tenant groups or to work directly with apartment managers to evaluate their recycling options. Call Customer Service at 520-791-3171 for more information.
Small Business Waste Audit
Most businesses have more materials to recycle than an average home. If you are a City of Tucson commercial customer, schedule a waste audit to learn how recycling could save your business money.
How Does it Work?
- A friendly ES Representative will come to your business and help you identify the quantities and types of waste generated at your business that are fully recyclable in Tucson, and will make recommendations for easy ways to collect recyclables from the various areas in your business where they are generated.
- Schedule the audit at a convenient time for your business. A typical waste audit will take only 30-minutes of your time and will not impact your business functions or be visible to your customers.
- It is best to have a representative of your business on-hand for the audit who is most familiar with the facility and who can guide the waste auditor to various areas of your business where waste is generated.
- The auditor will provide you with estimated costs to add recycling collection at your business, based on information obtained during the audit.
- In many instances, there is actually a reduction of monthly trash collection fees when recycling is added. Most businesses are very surprised at the total percentage of waste that is recyclable, and how easy and cost-effective it is to begin a recycling program.
The free waste audit is being offered to Environmental Services customers only. If you are interested in having a waste audit conducted at your business, please call Environmental Services Customer Service at 520-791-3171.