The Mission of the Tucson Fire Cadet Program is to promote Strength of Character through Firefighter Training, Education, Physical Fitness and Selfless Community Service.
Choosing a career can be a difficult choice. Tucson Fire Department Cadet Program offers high school students the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in the firefighting profession.
Important dates for 2021
Summer Academy Application deadline is May 15th
Interviews will be conducted May 22nd*
Academy will run June 07th - June 30th*
* dates are tentative, subject to change
CLASSROOM EDUCATION and HANDS ON TRAINING IN:
- Fire Prevention
- Hose and Hose Handling
- Fire Science
- Aerial Ladder Climbing
- Medical Emergencies
- Contact with the Tucson Fire Department on a regular basis
- Earn Ride-Along Privileges
- Opportunity to Become a Cadet Lieutenant
- A Mentoring Program; Should you decide to test for a position of the Tucson Fire Department
ACCEPTED CANDIDATES MUST:
- Maintain 80% on all exams
- Participate in all hands on activities (including physical fitness program)
- Follow ALL rules and regulations of the Tucson Fire Department, AND the laws of:
- The City of Tucson
- The State of Arizona
- The United States
- The Federal Government
- Good character
- Good physical condition
- 14 - 18 years of age
- Provide own transportation
- Be recommended by a high school vocational or career counselor
- Must have completed Freshman year of high school
Applicants must successfully complete a multistep entrance procedure consisting of:
- Complete application and delivery by posted closing date.
- A one-hundred word essay on: "Why I want to be a Tucson Fire Department Cadet"
- A fifteen minute interview
An application can be obtained through your high school counseling center.
Download the application here: Fire Cadet Application (pdf)
Tucson Fire Department, a Commitment to Excellence