Frequently Asked Questions


When do I need to apply for a permit?

  • New construction – Residential or commercial
  • Building remodels – Additions, and renovations that include structural, mechanical, plumbing, and/or electrical work
  • Building use changes – New certificate of occupancy may be needed
  • Emergency utility reconnects - Electrical, gas, etc.​

Find more information Permit FAQ

How do I apply for a permit?

Review an overview of permit types to find the type of project you seek. All application submittal has moved online to Tucson Development Center Online

What am I allowed to build on my property?

The Building Permit Exemptions page has a detailed list of exterior and interior construction projects within the City of Tucson that do not require permits. The page also lists the types of construction that do require permits.

If you live within a Historic Preservation Zone (HPZ), any development requires a permit and Historical Preservation Design Review.

How do I pay application fees online?

Fees can be paid using the online payment portal through Tucson Development Center Online. Payments should post to customer accounts instantly.

What is the status of my application or submittal?

We are currently processing a high volume of applications and submittals. Application and status can be tracked on you dashboard after registering for an account at Tucson Development Center Online.

How can I get my property setbacks?

Property setbacks are building restrictions imposed on property owners. This can be a distance from a curb, property line, or structure within which the building is prohibited.

To view your property setback within the City of Tucson, you can use Map Tucson.

How do I reconnect my electric and/or gas?

A permit is required to reconnect electric or gas service to a residence or commercial space/structure. Reconnect permits are required if the utility has been shut off for six consecutive months.

If you are installing water or gas piping, a drawing must be submitted that identifies the size and length of all piping. Include the Gas Piping Template with your application. We inspect for any obvious code violations relating to the utility being connected, or other life safety hazards that are addressed prior to approving the release of electrical power or gas to the premises.

We recommend you review the Electrical Reconnect Guidelines and pre-inspect the dwelling prior to your inspection. New equipment is not considered a reconnect and will be charged according to the proposed work.

Find more information Permit FAQ

How do I file a complaint against my neighbor?

The City of Tucson’s Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcing property maintenance codes throughout the City of Tucson. These codes ensure owners maintain their property which helps to protect citizens’ health, safety and welfare.

File a code violation report online or call (520) 791-5843 during business hours.

I’ve been cited for a code violation. How do I take care of this violation?

If you received a violation that your property does not meet zoning code, you will need to take action to address this issue. This may require that you seek a building permit for work needing to be performed, or that has already been completed.

Review an overview of permit types to find the application for your type of project. You can also call Environmental and General Services with questions at (520) 791-5843.

How do I search records for my property?

Enter your address into Property Research Online (PRO) to find your property's permit history. Development records from 2006 or later are available in PRO.

For records prior to 2006, or if you cannot find the information you are looking for on PRO, a Records Request Form must be filled out, signed, and fees paid for any copies of documents.

Records are generally available back to the 1950's.

How can I apply for a Certificate of Occupancy (CofO)?

If you are moving into a space with the same type of use as a previous tenant and are not making changes to the space, you do not need a new CofO. The previous CofO should be used. PDSD does not use tenant names, only the type of business.

If you are moving into the space and there is no existing CofO on file for the previous tenant who was the same use, you must apply for a new CofO.

If you are increasing or decreasing the size of the space, changing the use or doing more than basic upgrades, you need to apply for a permit to renovate the space. A letter of completion or CofO will be issued at completion.

Where can I find information on ADU requirements?

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU), or casitas, are now permitted in Tucson on residential lots, subject to certain regulations. An ADU is an independent housing unit with its own kitchen, bathroom, living and sleeping space. These units are typically under 1,000 square feet and are accessories to a primary residence.

ADUs can be detached, attached, or interior to the primary residence (i.e., through the conversion of a garage, basement, or attic). 

You can find more information on the Accessory Dwellings Units Code Amendment page.