The City of Tucson Planning and Development Services Department (PDSD) and the Department of Transportation and Mobility (DTM), at the direction of Mayor and Council and pursuant to the authority granted to the City Manager in Mayor Romero’s Emergency Proclamation dated May 15, 2020, have enacted regulatory zoning relief allowing the temporary expansion of seating areas for food and beverage establishments which have been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
These temporary regulations will allow restaurants to expand their seating areas in walkways, parking lots and other spaces, while continuing to meet accessibility and safety requirements. This temporary measure is intended to help food businesses re-open while meeting current social distancing requirements.
Beginning today, the owners / operators of stand-alone restaurants, as well as restaurants located in shopping centers, mixed-use buildings, and strip centers, may review the guidelines and complete an online application. Requirements to obtain an approval are clearly identified and include:
· Landlord authorization required for owners and operators who are tenants
· Applicants requesting seating expansion in the public right-of-way must also submit a request to the Department of Transportation and Mobility
· Tucson Fire Department approval is required for applicants who would like to use tents with any side panels greater than 400 square feet and tents without side panels greater than 700 square feet.
· Expansions must adhere to applicable requirements of other agencies such as the Arizona Department of Liquor License and Control regulations, the Pima County Food Code, and pandemic-related guidelines issued by the Governor, Mayor of Tucson, or Pima County Health Department.
· Provision of a Certificate of Insurance listing the City as additional insured.
There is no fee to apply for the temporary expansion of seating. There will also be no fee for additional public right-of-way permits where required as a part of an application.
Approvals for temporary expansion of seating shall expire 60 days after approval. Renewal of temporary expansions shall require another review.
For further information review the guidelines here.