Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Report Missing Persons?

Before contacting law enforcement, check with the missing person’s workplace, family members, friends, and usual hangouts.

Next, have only one person contact the police. (If you are too upset to answer questions, have someone who is calmer contact law enforcement and try to have all of the information ready.)

Information that will help the police when you report someone missing:

  • Reasons you believe the person is missing.
  • What out of the ordinary event or situation leads you to believe this person is in danger/missing?
    For example, does this person always bring their phone, keys, wallet or purse everywhere they go and they have left it at home? Please provide as much detail regarding the curious circumstances as well any other details.
  • Inform the police department of the person’s possible mental state.
    Are they a potential danger to themselves or others? Are they known to carry weapons on their person?
  • Inform the police of any medical concerns.  Does the missing person have any chronic medical concerns that may present a threat to themselves or others if unmanaged? Are there any medications this person normally takes that they will miss/ have already missed? Does this person have a history of mental illness? Do they require regular treatment for any condition, medical or emotional?
  • When was this person last seen? How long have they been considered missing?
  • Have a detailed physical description prepared. Include:
    • Gender
    • Ethnicity
    • Height
    • Weight
    • Age
    • Hair color
    • Any distinguishing marks such as tattoos or birthmarks
    • A description of the clothing the individual was wearing when they were last seen 
  • If you have one or two clear and recent photographs available, consider providing these to the police as soon as possible.
Important information for you to know:
  • There is no waiting period for filing a missing persons report.
    As soon as you have legitimate cause to believe your loved one is missing, file a report.
  • The more clearly stated facts you provide the police, the more effectively the police can help.
  • Reporting someone missing does not necessarily mean you will be informed when they are found. The missing person has the right to request confidentiality, particularly if he/she is an adult.
  • If the person returns on their own, please inform police immediately.

Where Do I Report a TPD Officer? 

Can you dismiss my citation if the officer gets into trouble?
No. A complaint on an officer is separate from the adjudication process.
How can I make a complaint about an officer?
There are several different ways to make a complaint (no third-party complaints will be accepted):
How can I offer a compliment about an officer?
Offer a compliment through this online form 

How Do I Get My Property/Evidence Back? 

When is the Property & Evidence Section open to retrieve property?
Monday thru Thursday: 8 am–4 pm
I was arrested over the weekend. How soon can I get my personal property back?
Property stored from the weekend is processed on Mondays and is available for release beginning Tuesday.

More information from the Property and Evidence Section

Where/How Do I Get Police Records?

Why didn't the police officer leave me a copy of the report taken?
Reports are created electronically. If you need a copy, it can be picked up from the Records Section after five days.
  • Picture identification is required; it must indicate that it is a government-issued ID.
  • Requests for five or more cases require 24 hours to process.
  • Faxed requests cannot be accepted, nor is Records able to fax copies of reports.

Where Can I Dispose of Expired or Unused Prescription Medications?

Each police substation has a dropbox in the lobby where you can safely dispose of pill form medications (no needles or liquids).  Other locations within Pima County can be found on this map.

What Does TPD Do Re: Immigration Enforcement?
Arizona Revised Statute 11-1051-Senate Bill 1070(SB1070)

Frequently Asked Questions concerning A.R.S. 11-1051, also commonly referred to as Senate Bill 1070 or SB1070.

Chief Magnus responds to questions about TPD involvement with immigration enforcement:

The Tucson Police Department has worked very hard over a period of years to develop and insure a relationship of trust and partnership with our large immigrant community. The very fabric of our city is interwoven with residents from diverse backgrounds, representing many races and ethnicities that come from a wide range of places. Tucsonans pride themselves on kindness and inclusiveness.

It is important our residents understand that the policies and practices put in place over the past decade to direct and clarify how our officers interact with undocumented persons and handle immigration enforcement issues are not changing. The Tucson Police Department will continue to work with our federal law enforcement partners in a manner consistent with federal and state laws regulating immigration and protecting the civil rights, privileges and immunities of all persons. This means we make notifications associated with certain contacts and arrests when the individuals involved are a direct threat to public safety, are wanted for serious crimes, or have federal arrest warrants.

The Tucson Police Department recognizes that the enforcement of state and federal laws related to immigration is a complex effort and that the need for community trust and cooperation is an essential component of policing and public safety. Entangling local policing with additional immigration enforcement responsibilities would seriously compromise our ability to maintain the trust and support of our diverse community. If any of our residents believe that by reporting a crime, seeking assistance, or working with the police to make their neighborhoods safer will cause them to be unconstitutionally detained for an extended time or deported, our community becomes less secure. We will not compromise our commitment to community policing and public safety by taking on immigration enforcement responsibilities that appropriately rest with federal authorities.

Miscellaneous Topics

How do I obtain an Order of Protection?
Orders of Protection are obtained through Tucson City Court.  Additional information can be obtained by calling 520-791-4971.
How do I find out if someone is in jail?
The Pima County Jail booking information number is 520-351-8111, or you can look it up online.
My car was impounded (towed) by the Tucson Police Department. How do I get it back?
Vehicle Impound pdf
What number do I call to find out whether I have a warrant for my arrest?
The phone number is 520-791-4216.
How do I hire a police officer for a special event?

Special Duty Employment allows private employers to hire Tucson Police Department Officers for law enforcement services at locations within the City limits. 

If you would like more information about the Tucson Police Department Special Duty Program, you may call (281)-347-8500 or