Gray Water Rebate

Gray water is wastewater collected from the drains of hand-washing sinks, showers, bathtubs and clothes washing machines. Of the total amount of wastewater generated in a typical home, 12% is from clothes washers, 10% is from faucets, and 9% is from showers. That’s a total of 31% that can be re-used as gray water for landscape plants, fruit trees, and lawns.

Applicants must submit a W-9 form for rebates of $600 or more, which are subject to tax, and will be issued a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income. The W-9 form requires submitting your social security number.


Tucson Water will reimburse 50% of qualifying costs, up to $1,000, when a permanent gray water irrigation system is installed at your home after January 1, 2013. Rebates are available for retrofitting existing homes, as well as connecting new homes to gray water irrigation systems.


  • Gray water irrigation systems purchased after January 1, 2013.
  • Rebate covers design costs (up to $200), materials, storage tanks, filters, pumps, backflow prevention assembly, and installation.
  • Rebate does not cover hoses and other non-permanent fixtures, bathroom remodel materials, workshops, plants and sales taxes.


Tucson Water customers must attend a free, two-hour Gray Water Rebate Workshop offered by the Watershed Management Group . The workshop covers appropriate methods to design, operate, and maintain a gray water system.

Backflow Prevention Requirements

Use of an irrigation system that is pressurized with any kind of pump must have a reduced pressure assembly (RPA) installed at the service connection to protect the public water system from potential contamination.

For more information on backflow assembly requirements for alternative water sources (rainwater and gray water irrigation systems), download the Alternative Water Sources and Backflow Assembly Requirements pdf, visit the Backflow Prevention web page, or call 520-791-2650.

Permit Requirements

Contact the City of Tucson Planning & Development Services Department to find out if a permit is needed:

  • A permit is not required to tap into a pre-existing gravity stub-out from the washing machine.
  • A permit is required to modify drainage plumbing/piping from any fixture.
  • Homeowners may perform plumbing work on their own residence; otherwise, licensed contractors must be used.
  • For more info: or at (520) 791-5550  

How to Apply

More Information

Click on the following links for information, call 520-791-4331, or email

Esta información está disponible en Español. Por favor llame al (520) 791-4331.